Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Mon October 28, 2013
LBL to Close Some Wildlife Refuges for Winter
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area is closing nine wildlife refuges for the winter starting next month.
The refuges include portions of Duncan Bay, Smith Bay, and Rushing Bay on Kentucky Lake; Fulton and Honker bays on Lake Barkley; and Long Creek Refuge at the back of Elbow Bay.
The bays will remain closed until March 15 to provide undisturbed resting and feeding areas for western Kentucky waterfowl.
During that time, those areas will be closed to hunters, fishermen and boaters. The Hematite and Honker lakes – both a part of the closed refuge areas – will remain open only to hikers and wildlife viewers.