Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Mon October 28, 2013
LBL to Close Some Wildlife Refuges for Winter
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area is closing nine wildlife refuges for the winter starting next month.
The refuges include portions of Duncan Bay, Smith Bay, and Rushing Bay on Kentucky Lake; Fulton and Honker bays on Lake Barkley; and Long Creek Refuge at the back of Elbow Bay.
The bays will remain closed until March 15 to provide undisturbed resting and feeding areas for western Kentucky waterfowl.
During that time, those areas will be closed to hunters, fishermen and boaters. The Hematite and Honker lakes – both a part of the closed refuge areas – will remain open only to hikers and wildlife viewers.