Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Tue February 5, 2013
Lawmakers Return to Frankfort for Round Two
State lawmakers return to Frankfort today to take on some of the Commonwealth's most pressing issues, including finding a way to shore up the financially troubled pension plan for government retirees. The Legislature met for a week in early January to elect House and Senate leaders, then took a three-week break.
Lawmakers will remain in session through the end of March in hopes of resolving a $33 billion unfunded liability in the state's pension system. Lawmakers want to put more money into pensions, but haven't yet identified where the cash would come from. A proposal to reform the state's tax code could hold the answer.