Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- Public-Private Project to Bring "I-Way" Statewide by 2017
- [Update] Holidays Sound Good on WKMS!
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
Thu February 13, 2014
Larry Collmus Is The New Voice of Churchill Downs
Larry Collmus will be the new race caller at Churchill Downs starting on April 26.
Among Collmus' duties will be announcing the Kentucky Derby on May 3. He becomes the seventh announcer at the historic track.
Collmus will continue as the race caller for NBC Sports on its telecasts of the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont stakes, and the Breeders' Cup.
He replaces Mark Johnson, who’s leaving after five years. Johnson was the first British announcer to call the Kentucky Derby.
The 47 year old Collmus currently works as track announcer at Gulfstream Park in Florida, and will continue doing so after he handles Churchill's spring, September and fall meets.
Here is video of Collmus calling the Monmouth Park race in 2010: