Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Mon July 9, 2012
Lake Barkley Lock and Dam Resuming Public Tours
Tours of the Lake Barkley Dam powerhouse and navigation lock in Grand Rivers have resumed for the first time since the September 11 terrorist attacks.
Barkley Resource Manager Mike Looney says security concerns after the attacks led to the development of a new process for allowing people to visit the dam. He says,
“So what we’ve done is set aside specific dates and times where if people register in advance and we can do the appropriate background checks, we’ve set up these tours to allow people to see the inside of our hydroelectric power plant and the lock.”
Looney says visitors learn about electricity generation and river transportation on the tours. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has public tours scheduled for July 21, August 18 and September 15. The tours are free and are offered three times on tour days, starting at 9 am.