Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Mon July 9, 2012
Lake Barkley Lock and Dam Resuming Public Tours
Tours of the Lake Barkley Dam powerhouse and navigation lock in Grand Rivers have resumed for the first time since the September 11 terrorist attacks.
Barkley Resource Manager Mike Looney says security concerns after the attacks led to the development of a new process for allowing people to visit the dam. He says,
“So what we’ve done is set aside specific dates and times where if people register in advance and we can do the appropriate background checks, we’ve set up these tours to allow people to see the inside of our hydroelectric power plant and the lock.”
Looney says visitors learn about electricity generation and river transportation on the tours. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has public tours scheduled for July 21, August 18 and September 15. The tours are free and are offered three times on tour days, starting at 9 am.