Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Mon March 12, 2012
Lake Barkley Bridge Struck
The US 68/KY 80 bridge over Lake Barkley at Canton is open again to traffic this morning following a strike by a fourteen barge tow early this morning. The U.S. Coast Guard reports the Motor Vessel EVT was pushing the empty barges downriver when a gust of wind forced a controlled landing against one of the bridge piers. The collision was severe enough that the lead barge was taking on water. Kentucky Transportation spokesman Keith Todd says the Cabinet dispatched an inspector who reported no structural damage to the bridge.