Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Mon May 20, 2013
KY Police Start Memorial Day Patrols This Week
Kentucky law enforcement officers are beginning a week of traffic patrols for the Memorial Day holiday focusing on making sure motorists are wearing seat belts. The 2013 "Click It or Ticket" campaign begins today and runs through June 2. The Kentucky Office of Highway Safety says Kentucky has an 83% seat belt usage rate. The national rate is 86%.
The office says fatalities on Kentucky roadways last year totaled 746, up from 721 in 2011. It says more than half of those killed were not wearing a seat belt. The office awarded more than $96,800 in federal funds to 18 state and local police agencies across Kentucky for the seat belt campaign.