Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu December 20, 2012
KY Overdose Deaths Up 282 Percent
A new study shows drug overdose deaths in Kentucky rose 282 percent between 2000 and 2010. The Kentucky Injury Prevention and Research Center analyzed information from emergency rooms, in-patient hospitalizations and mortality records.
Drug overdose deaths increased from six per 100,000 Kentuckians in 2000 to almost 23 per 100,000 in 2010. More than half of the deaths were from prescription drugs, and the highest fatality rates were in eastern Kentucky.