Most Active Stories
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Carson Myre Series: Clark Elementary Choir Holiday Presentation
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Wed November 21, 2012
KY National Guard Meets Recruiting Goals
More than 7,300 soldiers are now a part of the Kentucky Army National Guard. That number exceeds the original goal set by the National Guard Bureau in Washington, D.C. this year by a hundred.
This is the ninth year in a row the Kentucky National Guard has met or exceeded recruiting expectations, and Major Fred Bates, Commander for 2nd of the 75th Recruiting & Retention Battalion with the Kentucky Guard, says that speaks highly of Kentuckians' support for the military.
“It just shows that the people of Kentucky want to serve, you know," he says. "This great commonwealth in the nation and we’re able to continue to grow because people keep stepping up and saying, ‘Hey, pick me. I want to serve.’”
About 1,200 men and women are also part of the Air National Guard in Kentucky. Nearly 600 members of the Guard are stationed overseas.
“It just shows that the people of Kentucky want to serve, you know. This great commonwealth in the nation and we’re able to continue to grow because people keep stepping up and saying, ‘Hey, pick me. I want to serve.’”