Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- Murray Woman Shares Story of Ongoing Persecution of Baha'is in Iran
- USEC Operations at PGPD Won't Continue
Tue January 8, 2013
KY Lawmakers Prepare for Start of Legislative Session
Kentucky lawmakers start their legislative session today where they're expected to consider tax reforms and search for ways to shore up the financially troubled pension system for government retirees. A task force appointed by Gov. Steve Beshear has recommended a series of changes to the state tax code that could generate more than $600 million in additional revenue. A separate legislative task force has recommended pumping more money into the pension system, which has a $33 billion unfunded liability.
Beshear says he's not sure lawmakers can resolve those issues in the 30 days allotted for the session. If not, he may call a special session later.