Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Tue August 20, 2013
KY House Panel To Take Up Redistricting Bill
The Kentucky House will try to keep legislative redistricting on a fast track on the second day of a special legislative session.
The House State Government Committee is scheduled to take up a redistricting bill today. House and Senate leaders are hoping to wrap up redistricting work Friday. It takes a minimum of five days to pass a bill in the Commonwealth.
At that pace, the cost for the special session would top $300,000. Lawmakers are being pressed to get done quickly because of pending lawsuits. As a result, a three-judge panel is closely watching the Legislature's efforts and is poised to step in if lawmakers fail to resolve the matter in the special session. Redistricting is undertaken every 10 years to account for population changes recorded by the Census Bureau.