Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Hopkinsville HS Students Allege Discrimination Over LGBT Related Yearbook Quote
Fri January 10, 2014
KY Highway Deaths Down In 2013
Kentucky's highways were safer last year. The state Transportation Cabinet says the number of fatalities on roadways dropped to 635 in 2013, the lowest number since 1949.
The Kentucky Office of Highway Safety says the preliminary total for last year was down more than 100 from 2012, when 746 people were killed on Kentucky roads.
The number in 1949 was 573. Transportation Secretary Mike Hancock says the Governor's Executive Committee on Highway Safety aims to continue reducing the number as it implements a Safety Plan called "Toward Zero Deaths."
A final report on the 2013 figures is expected by April after all highway crash data is collected.