Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Fri January 10, 2014
KY Highway Deaths Down In 2013
Kentucky's highways were safer last year. The state Transportation Cabinet says the number of fatalities on roadways dropped to 635 in 2013, the lowest number since 1949.
The Kentucky Office of Highway Safety says the preliminary total for last year was down more than 100 from 2012, when 746 people were killed on Kentucky roads.
The number in 1949 was 573. Transportation Secretary Mike Hancock says the Governor's Executive Committee on Highway Safety aims to continue reducing the number as it implements a Safety Plan called "Toward Zero Deaths."
A final report on the 2013 figures is expected by April after all highway crash data is collected.