Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri January 10, 2014
KY Highway Deaths Down In 2013
Kentucky's highways were safer last year. The state Transportation Cabinet says the number of fatalities on roadways dropped to 635 in 2013, the lowest number since 1949.
The Kentucky Office of Highway Safety says the preliminary total for last year was down more than 100 from 2012, when 746 people were killed on Kentucky roads.
The number in 1949 was 573. Transportation Secretary Mike Hancock says the Governor's Executive Committee on Highway Safety aims to continue reducing the number as it implements a Safety Plan called "Toward Zero Deaths."
A final report on the 2013 figures is expected by April after all highway crash data is collected.