Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu October 8, 2009
KY Highway Death Toll to be Posted
Frankfort, KY – The Kentucky Office of Highway Safety will start posting highway fatality totals on more than 50 electronic message boards on interstates and parkways. Starting next Tuesday, fatality totals will be posted along with other highway safety messages. Emergency messages such as road closures and Amber Alerts will take priority.
Roadway fatalities in Kentucky have declined for three years in a row. But as of October 6, the statewide total for the year was 599, two more than on the same date a year ago. Acting Transportation Cabinet Secretary Mike Hancock says more than half those killed were not wearing seat belts, and 22% of deaths involved alcohol.