Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri March 22, 2013
KY Dept. of Public Health Gets Funding To Fight Diabetes
The Kentucky Department for Public Health says a federal grant will help it fight the state's diabetes epidemic. The state was one of eight states to receive funding from the National Association of Chronic Disease Directors and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. According to a statement, $134,380 will be used to target people with pre-diabetes in an effort to prevent them from developing diabetes.
Health and Family Services Cabinet Secretary Audrey Tayse Haynes says the disease "is a tremendous public health concern" and the funding will aid the agency in helping Kentuckians make better choices and lead healthier lives. Department for Public Health Commissioner Dr. Stephanie Mayfield says there are an estimated 233,000 residents in Kentucky who have pre-diabetes.