Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Fri November 8, 2013
KY Dept. Of Insurance Wants To Manage School Funds
The Kentucky Department of Insurance is asking to be allowed to manage funds used for school board workers' compensation and property and liability claims.
The Public Protection Cabinet says the Insurance Department's lawyers filed petitions yesterday in Franklin County Circuit Court seeking to have the funds placed in rehabilitation due to serious financial problems.
The cabinet says the plan would save at least $21 million over earlier proposals.
The petitions seek to have $48 point 5 million dollars in assessment plans approved. The cabinet said members of self-insured funds sign agreements and are responsible for resolving the deficits through the assessments.