Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Fri May 31, 2013
KY Democrats Still Looking For McConnell Challenger
Kentucky Democrats, still working on finding a challenger to U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, will meet next Thursday in Louisville at the annual Wendell Ford Dinner at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden, son of Vice President Joe Biden, will be the keynote speaker, but media attention likely will be on potential Democratic challengers to McConnell.
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes and former Miss America Heather French Henry are on a short list of potential challengers. Environmental attorney Tom FitzGerald and former Democratic Party Chairman Bill Garmer also have said they may be interested in running. The filing deadline isn't until January 28, but candidates would need to begin raising money soon to compete with McConnell who, at last report, had raised $13 million.