Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Fri May 31, 2013
KY Democrats Still Looking For McConnell Challenger
Kentucky Democrats, still working on finding a challenger to U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, will meet next Thursday in Louisville at the annual Wendell Ford Dinner at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden, son of Vice President Joe Biden, will be the keynote speaker, but media attention likely will be on potential Democratic challengers to McConnell.
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes and former Miss America Heather French Henry are on a short list of potential challengers. Environmental attorney Tom FitzGerald and former Democratic Party Chairman Bill Garmer also have said they may be interested in running. The filing deadline isn't until January 28, but candidates would need to begin raising money soon to compete with McConnell who, at last report, had raised $13 million.