Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Mon January 27, 2014
KY Corrections Officers Look For Better Pay
A group of current and retired corrections officers are planning to lobby state lawmakers during the current legislative session for a pay raise.
The Paducah Sun reports officers from the Kentucky State Penitentiary in Eddyville and the Western Kentucky Correctional Complex in Fredonia met last week to discuss the campaign, which will include letters and phone calls.
Larry Bland, who is president of the Lake Barkley Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police, said the effort is necessary to retain staff and ensure the workforce is highly trained and competent.
He says Kentucky ranks 49th in the nation in median hourly wages for correctional officers.