Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed July 11, 2012
KY and TN Utility Companies Warn Customers of New Scam
Some utility companies in the region are warning customers to beware of a new scam that has emerged in Kentucky and Tennessee.
Marketing manager Miles McDaniel of Bowling Green Municipal Utilities says some customers have been contacted by scam artists, who claim that a new federal bail-out program will cover their bills.
“They’re telling them—persuading them, that there is a special federal government assistance program. Sometimes its being described as a bail-out program authorized by President Barack Obama’s administration and Its available to pay their utility bills.”
However, there is no such program, and McDaniel says the scam artists are trying to get social security numbers and other personal information from their victims. Consumer protection specialists urge consumers to hang up on such callers and ask their local utility if they have questions.