Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Wed August 22, 2012
KY ACT Scores Improve, Still Below National Average
Kentucky's public high school seniors scored higher on the ACT college entrance exam than a year ago, but their overall performance remains below the national average. State education officials say the average composite ACT score rose to 19.5 for Kentucky's public high school class of 2012, up from 19.2 in 2011.
The national average composite score was 21.1. This year's senior class showed across-the-board improvement with higher average scores in English, math, reading and science. Adding non-public school test scores to the mix brings Kentucky’s average up to 19.8, but the state reports only public school scores in its ACT data.