Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Thu January 16, 2014
KSP Adds To Air Fleet
Kentucky State Police have expanded their aircraft fleet at no upfront costs to the state.
A former U.S. Air Force jet was acquired through a military surplus program.
State Justice and Public Safety Secretary J. Michael Brown said yesterday that the state will incur some costs to convert the plane from military to commercial use.
But the plane, valued at $1 million , was acquired through a program that allows law enforcement agencies to obtain surplus military weapons, vehicles and aircraft at no cost.
The Justice and Public Safety Cabinet says the plane will be used by state police to respond to situations that require specialized teams to be moved into place quickly, such as a hostage negotiation team.