Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon September 10, 2012
KKK and ACLU Sue Cape Girardeau
The Ku Klux Klan and the American Civil Liberties Union are suing the City of Cape Girardeau for infringing their First Amendment rights to free speech. KKK members plan to distribute leaflets in Cape Girardeau on September 28th, but the city’s anti-litter ordinance prohibits placing handbills in or upon vehicles.
The ACLU’s Tony Rothert says the ordinance’s restriction is not closely tied to the government’s goal of litter reduction and that it deprives individuals of an entire mode of communication. The attorney representing the City of Cape Girardeau says he can’t comment on the lawsuit. The ACLU seeks an injunction to stop the ordinance’s enforcement.