Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue January 27, 2009
Kentucky State of Emergency
By Chad Lampe
Murray, KY – Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear has declared a statewide emergency as a powerful winter storm barrels through Kentucky. The storm has produced a thick layer of snow and ice that has closed schools, made travel hazardous and cut power to thousands of people. Beshear says the emergency declaration will free up some resources for local emergency management teams.
The governor's office says some 60,000 Kentuckians are without power, mostly in western Kentucky. Road crews are working around the clock trying to keep main highways passable. Much of Kentucky is bracing for a second wallop of wintry weather this evening.
"It helps the local officials to access funds at the state level. Obviously when you have these kinds of emergencies, local budgets not all the time can handle that and the overtime that folks have to put in. The declaration of a state of emergency will help those folks deal the financial issues."