Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Fri September 20, 2013
Kentucky’s Jobless Rate Drops In August
The state unemployment rate declined slightly in August despite significant job losses in some key labor market sectors. The Kentucky Office of Employment and Training reports that the rate fell to 8.4%, down from 8.5% in July. State economist Manoj Shanker said the trade, transportation and utilities sector shed 2,100 jobs in August. Another 1,800 jobs were lost in various sectors.
Those losses were offset by gains within professional and business services, which added 2,700 jobs. Construction added 1,700 jobs. Manufacturing grew by 1,500 jobs. Education and health services increased by 1,300 jobs.