Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri September 20, 2013
Kentucky’s Jobless Rate Drops In August
The state unemployment rate declined slightly in August despite significant job losses in some key labor market sectors. The Kentucky Office of Employment and Training reports that the rate fell to 8.4%, down from 8.5% in July. State economist Manoj Shanker said the trade, transportation and utilities sector shed 2,100 jobs in August. Another 1,800 jobs were lost in various sectors.
Those losses were offset by gains within professional and business services, which added 2,700 jobs. Construction added 1,700 jobs. Manufacturing grew by 1,500 jobs. Education and health services increased by 1,300 jobs.