Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Thu November 14, 2013
Kentucky Homeless Veterans on the Rise
New data shows that the number of homeless veterans in Kentucky is on the rise. The increase is partly a result of troop drawdowns in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Beginning in 2009, troops serving in Middle East began redeploying home in large numbers. The number of those having trouble finding work or a place to live increased along with it.
The Kentucky Housing Corporation reports that, since 2009, the population of homeless veterans in the Commonwealth has jumped 37 percent. The report warns if the trend continues Kentucky will be among the top 10 states for veteran homelessness.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has stated that it hopes to eradicate this problem nationwide in the next two years.