Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Thu May 21, 2009
Kentucky Graduation Rates on the Rise
By Charlie Compton
Frankfort, KY – School data reveals Kentucky's best-ever high school graduation rate. In 2008, the number of students earning a high school diploma within four years rose to over 84 percent. Lisa Gross with the Department of Education gives credit to teachers for the one percent increase.
"When schools pay attention to what each and every child needs and wants. Then you see graduation rates and other rates like this go up."
According to Gross, more than 50 percent of graduates continued their education after high school. There was also an increase in high school dropouts. In 2008, 300 more minority students dropped out than in 2007.