Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu May 21, 2009
Kentucky Graduation Rates on the Rise
By Charlie Compton
Frankfort, KY – School data reveals Kentucky's best-ever high school graduation rate. In 2008, the number of students earning a high school diploma within four years rose to over 84 percent. Lisa Gross with the Department of Education gives credit to teachers for the one percent increase.
"When schools pay attention to what each and every child needs and wants. Then you see graduation rates and other rates like this go up."
According to Gross, more than 50 percent of graduates continued their education after high school. There was also an increase in high school dropouts. In 2008, 300 more minority students dropped out than in 2007.