Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Mon July 22, 2013
Kentucky Contest To Honor Local Farmers
People who enjoy products from Kentucky farmers can vote for their favorite in a contest that will culminate in awards to be presented at next month's state fair in Louisville. Voting is underway for the first Local Food Hero awards at www.seedcapitalky.org/farmers and closes at midnight July 31.
The Kentucky Agriculture Department says the awards are the joint effort of that agency as well as Seed Capital Kentucky and Louisville Metro Government. To be eligible, farmers must belong to the Kentucky Proud marketing program, grow or raise their own product in Kentucky and supply the local food market. Seed Capital Kentucky project director Caroline Heine says farmers' work is important to the economy as well as people's health and adds that is why farmers are heroes.