Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon July 22, 2013
Kentucky Contest To Honor Local Farmers
People who enjoy products from Kentucky farmers can vote for their favorite in a contest that will culminate in awards to be presented at next month's state fair in Louisville. Voting is underway for the first Local Food Hero awards at www.seedcapitalky.org/farmers and closes at midnight July 31.
The Kentucky Agriculture Department says the awards are the joint effort of that agency as well as Seed Capital Kentucky and Louisville Metro Government. To be eligible, farmers must belong to the Kentucky Proud marketing program, grow or raise their own product in Kentucky and supply the local food market. Seed Capital Kentucky project director Caroline Heine says farmers' work is important to the economy as well as people's health and adds that is why farmers are heroes.