Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
-Government & Politics - WKMS
Tue February 7, 2012
Kentucky Cabinet Secretary Janie Miller Resigns
Kentucky’s Cabinet for Health and Family Services Secretary Janie Miller has resigned.
Miller was appointed as head of the cabinet by Governor Steve Beshear during his first term. The agency is responsible for overseeing Medicaid and various social services.
Miller’s resignation comes while the cabinet’s transparency regarding child abuse cases is being challenged in court. She is the second cabinet leader to resign in the recent months. She follows Patricia Wilson, who served as commissioner for the department overseeing child welfare services.
A release sent by Beshear’s office says Miller has decided to seek other opportunities, but it’s unclear what that may include. She leaves her position with more than 35 years of experience in various public administrative and regulatory roles.
The Cabinet’s current deputy secretary, Eric Friedlander, will serve as interim secretary of the agency. He has served in the cabinet in a variety of roles since 1985.
Friedlander will take over for Miller on Feb. 29.