Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Thu August 27, 2009
Frankfort, KY – REPUBLICAN SENATOR JIM BUNNING CALLED KENNEDY " A POLITICAL ICON WHO SERVED WITH GREAT DISTINCTION." SENATE MINORITY LEADER MITCH MCCONNELL SAYS KENNEDY WAS 'ONE OF THE GIANTS OF AMERICAN POLITICAL LIFE."
KENNEDY ACCEPTED AN INVITATION FROM MCCONNELL IN 2006 TO SPEAK AT THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE, WHERE HE BEGAN WITH A READING FROM A POEMBY JAMES MULLIGAN.
"the bluegrass waves the bluest, the songbirds are the sweetest, the thoroughbreds are
the fleetest, the landscape is the grandest and the politics are the damndest... in Kentucky."
KENNEDY TOLD THE AUDIENCE HIS FAMILY HAS A SPECIAL CONNECTION WITH KENTUCKY, DESCRIBING HOW MOVED HIS BROTHER BOBBY WAS BY A VISIT TO THE PIKE COUNTY COAL FIELDS, AND HOW ANOTHER BROTHER, JOHN, CAMPAIGNED FOR PRESIDENCY IN LOUISVILLE IN 1960.