Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue November 10, 2009
Judge Rules Massac Unit One in Contempt of Court
By Chris Taylor
Metropolis, IL – A Judge has ruled Massac Unit One School District is in contempt of court after it willfully ignored a court order to change its life insurance policy. That policy charges higher rates for retirees than current workers. Judge Ronald Eckiss says Superintendent Bill Hatfield violated retired workers' contracts and then acted in contempt by refusing to combine the dual plans into one. The policy affects some 73 retirees, eight of which have died since the dispute began in 2003. The West Kentucky Star reports Eckiss will hold a hearing December 21 to decide on restitution and fees in the case.