Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Tue September 11, 2012
Judge Declares Mistrial in Russell Case
Trigg Circuit Judge C.A. Woodall has declared a mistrial in the trial of Claude Russell, who was charged with killing Chantell Humphries in 2002. The Kentucky New Era reports the action came Monday night after a nine-day trial when jurors twice reported they could not come up with a unanimous verdict. Humphries' body was found on a cattle farm in Trigg County in June 2002.
A grand jury indicted Russell for murder in 2003, but prosecutors dismissed the case citing a lack of evidence. Russell was indicted again in 2011 after police re-investigated the case.