Most Active Stories
- Woman's Body Found Near Abandoned Vehicle in Calloway County
- Waldrop Announces Retirement From McCracken County Schools
- Carson Myre Series: Clark Elementary Choir Holiday Presentation
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Western Kentucky Short on Primary Care Physicians, Training Programs
Tue September 11, 2012
Judge Declares Mistrial in Russell Case
Trigg Circuit Judge C.A. Woodall has declared a mistrial in the trial of Claude Russell, who was charged with killing Chantell Humphries in 2002. The Kentucky New Era reports the action came Monday night after a nine-day trial when jurors twice reported they could not come up with a unanimous verdict. Humphries' body was found on a cattle farm in Trigg County in June 2002.
A grand jury indicted Russell for murder in 2003, but prosecutors dismissed the case citing a lack of evidence. Russell was indicted again in 2011 after police re-investigated the case.