Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu April 23, 2009
JCTCS Plans No Confidence Vote
By Carrie Pond
Louisville, KY – Faculty members in Louisville's Jefferson Community and Technical College system will vote tomorrow Friday morning on a no confidence resolution in response to a new tenure policy. The no-confidence vote is aimed at the Kentucky Community and Technical College System Board of Regents and KCTCS President Michael McCall. Last month, the board voted to do away with tenure for new faculty hired after July 1. Proponents say the move will give colleges more flexibility in hiring and save money, but faculty union leaders say it will have a negative effect in the classroom. Barbara Ashley is executive director of the Community College Faculty and Staff Alliance and an instructor at JCTC.
"We're very concerned about the quality of education and the quality of the faculty we'll be able to hire."
Similar votes have been held at several other KCTCS institutions in Kentucky, including at campuses in Hopkinsville and Paducah. Regents chairman Richard Bean says the board has no intention of reversing the policy.