Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Thu March 20, 2014
"Irvin Cobb: Back Home" A Documentary
Join us Sunday, March 30 at 9 a.m. for the story of Irvin Cobb: Back Home.
Irvin Cobb's name can be found throughout western Kentucky. It graces a bridge, a resort, a hotel, and a golf tournament. But despite being one of the most famous writers of the early 20th century, not many people know that much about him. This latest Sounds Good documentary hopes to change all that.
Did you know he was the host for the 6th Annual Academy Awards and awarded an honorary Oscar to a six-year-old Shirley Temple! He was a long-time journalist and made the leap from the page to the big screen, writing and acting in films directed by the iconic director John Ford. We'll hear from his descendants, both literary and biological.
We'll learn about his friendships with celebrities Will Rogers and Hal Roach of Little Rascals fame, his feuds with journalist-critic H.L. Mencken, and uncover a circle of admirers ranging from legendary horror writer H.P. Lovecraft to director and screenwriter Guillermo Del Toro.
Irvin Cobb: Back Home will reintroduce us to our region's master storyteller and his legacy with sound and interviews.