Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu April 11, 2013
Immigration Reform Supporters Rally in Lexington
As a group of senators known as the “Gang of Eight” work toward an immigration bill in Washington, supporters of reform are urging Congress to act sooner rather than later.
One of the 70 demonstrations planned across the country Wednesday was held at Lexington’s Triangle Park. Speakers and musicians rallied a crowd of more than 150 people.
Organizer Andrea Estrida says children protected from prosecution for two years by DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals memo signed by President Obama in 2012, want to see more action.
“After two years are over, we’re not sure what’s going to happen," she said. "They haven’t said anything. But we also have parents. We want parents to have something. We want reform.”
The rally commemorated similar demonstrations held in the spring of 2006 in Lexington and elsewhere across the country.