Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu February 14, 2013
Illinois Union Wants Violent Inmates to Stay Put
The union representing Illinois correctional workers is demanding a stop to what it says is the transfer of violent maximum-security prison inmates to less-secure lockups.
The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees says in one instance up to 15 inmates were being moved to medium-security prisons. The inmates allegedly beat two guards and a chaplain at Menard prison last week. The union is worried increased violence has ushered a return of "circuit riders," or keeping troublemakers isolated by moving them from prison to prison.
The 1998 opening of the high-security Tamms prison ended that practice. But Governor Pat Quinn closed Tamms in January because of budget cuts.