Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Thu April 19, 2012
Illinois Unemployment Falls Below 9 Percent
The Illinois unemployment rate fell below 9 percent in March in what continues to be a slow, sometimes unsteady recovery from recession. The state Department of Employment Security reports an 8.8 percent March rate which is the first time the jobless rate has fallen below nine percent since February 2009 and the seventh straight decrease. Illinois’ unemployment rate still remains higher than the US average of 8.2 percent.