Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Thu April 19, 2012
Illinois Unemployment Falls Below 9 Percent
The Illinois unemployment rate fell below 9 percent in March in what continues to be a slow, sometimes unsteady recovery from recession. The state Department of Employment Security reports an 8.8 percent March rate which is the first time the jobless rate has fallen below nine percent since February 2009 and the seventh straight decrease. Illinois’ unemployment rate still remains higher than the US average of 8.2 percent.