Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon July 9, 2012
Illinois Traffic Safety Campaign Starts Today
Illinois transportation officials are working to curb the rising number of roadway fatalities with the help of the state’s digital message boards.
Officials say the statewide message board campaign will feature traffic safety messages and the daily traffic fatality count. Messaging boards were previously reserved for Amber Alerts, lane closings and construction notifications. The state Department of Transportation reports 479 fatalities have occurred on Illinois roadways this year as of last week. That's compared with 418 in the same time last year. Officials say traffic safety campaign messaging will be posted during times when other emergency messages aren't required.