Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Mon July 9, 2012
Illinois Traffic Safety Campaign Starts Today
Illinois transportation officials are working to curb the rising number of roadway fatalities with the help of the state’s digital message boards.
Officials say the statewide message board campaign will feature traffic safety messages and the daily traffic fatality count. Messaging boards were previously reserved for Amber Alerts, lane closings and construction notifications. The state Department of Transportation reports 479 fatalities have occurred on Illinois roadways this year as of last week. That's compared with 418 in the same time last year. Officials say traffic safety campaign messaging will be posted during times when other emergency messages aren't required.