Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Mon July 9, 2012
Illinois Traffic Safety Campaign Starts Today
Illinois transportation officials are working to curb the rising number of roadway fatalities with the help of the state’s digital message boards.
Officials say the statewide message board campaign will feature traffic safety messages and the daily traffic fatality count. Messaging boards were previously reserved for Amber Alerts, lane closings and construction notifications. The state Department of Transportation reports 479 fatalities have occurred on Illinois roadways this year as of last week. That's compared with 418 in the same time last year. Officials say traffic safety campaign messaging will be posted during times when other emergency messages aren't required.