Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Thu February 14, 2013
Illinois' Sheila Simon Won't Seek Re-election
Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon says she won't seek re-election next year but is weighing her options when it comes to seeking another public office. She declined to give details, but she spent much of a news conference yesterday playing up her legal and financial experience.
Political experts say the move points toward exploring a run for attorney general or another statewide office and would allow for Simon to fundraise separately from Gov. Pat Quinn, who has seen his approval rating dip. It would also allow Simon to see who else is running.
Attorney General Lisa Madigan says she hasn't decided yet on a 2014 gubernatorial run. Simon told Quinn her decision in December. She says in a few months she'll make another announcement about her future plans.