Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Thu April 11, 2013
Illinois Senators Concerned About Gambling, Corruption
A key Senate committee is meeting to discuss concerns that expanding gambling would open the door to political corruption and organized crime.
Senate President John Cullerton invited representatives of the Illinois Gaming Board and the Chicago Crime Commission to appear before the Senate Executive Committee Wednesday . Cullerton’s spokesperson Rikeesha Phelon says the Chicago Democrat wants to try to find a way to address the issue. But she says Cullerton has doubts about whether the concerns are legitimate or "hyperbole" intended to derail the measure.
Gov. Pat Quinn vetoed a bill last year because he said it didn't have enough ethical protections. He says gambling legislation shouldn't include "loopholes for mobsters."
The bill would add five casinos and slot machines at Chicago's two major airports.