Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed May 30, 2012
Illinois Senate Rejects Anti-Bullying Bill
The Illinois Senate has again rejected legislation requiring schools to adopt more detailed policies against bullying.
The bill says schools must spell out how students can file anonymous complaints, how those complaints will be investigated, and what can happen to students who bully classmates. The legislation left it up to schools to decide how each of those requirements would be met. Yesterday’s vote was 29 to 21. The bill needed 30 votes to pass. Some conservative groups see the anti-bullying bill as cover for schools to lecture students about accepting homosexuality. They want to add a provision letting students and teachers skip any lesson that might contradict their religious beliefs.