Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed April 3, 2013
Illinois' Republican Senator Supports Gay Marriage
Republican U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois says he supports same-sex marriage. Kirk said in a post on his blog yesterday that same-sex couples should have the right to civil marriage. He says what matters in life is who you love and "government has no place in the middle."
Kirk previously voted to end the policy barring gays from openly serving in the military, known as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." He's a lead co-sponsor of a bill to ban employment discrimination based on sexual orientation, and has opposed a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.
Kirk is Illinois' ranking Republican lawmaker.