Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Wed May 30, 2012
Illinois House Panel Approves Pension Overhaul
A plan to cut government pensions and shift some retirement costs to schools has cleared its first hurdle in the Illinois Legislature. A House pension committee approved the bill 6-3 yesterday.
The measure would reduce annual cost-of-living increases for public employees. It also gradually makes schools and universities pay the cost of retirement benefits for their employees. Opponents argue schools would be stuck with a huge expense at a time when money is already tight. But House Speaker Michael Madigan says the shift makes schools come up with money they promise to their employees.