Most Active Stories
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- MSU Board of Regents Vote Again Against New Contract for Dunn
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- KY College Planning Conference For Minorities Set
- MSU Board of Regents Meeting; Possible Revote on Dunn's Contract & Closed Session Planned
Wed May 30, 2012
Illinois House Panel Approves Pension Overhaul
A plan to cut government pensions and shift some retirement costs to schools has cleared its first hurdle in the Illinois Legislature. A House pension committee approved the bill 6-3 yesterday.
The measure would reduce annual cost-of-living increases for public employees. It also gradually makes schools and universities pay the cost of retirement benefits for their employees. Opponents argue schools would be stuck with a huge expense at a time when money is already tight. But House Speaker Michael Madigan says the shift makes schools come up with money they promise to their employees.