Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Wed May 30, 2012
Illinois House Panel Approves Pension Overhaul
A plan to cut government pensions and shift some retirement costs to schools has cleared its first hurdle in the Illinois Legislature. A House pension committee approved the bill 6-3 yesterday.
The measure would reduce annual cost-of-living increases for public employees. It also gradually makes schools and universities pay the cost of retirement benefits for their employees. Opponents argue schools would be stuck with a huge expense at a time when money is already tight. But House Speaker Michael Madigan says the shift makes schools come up with money they promise to their employees.