Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Wed May 30, 2012
Illinois House Panel Approves Pension Overhaul
A plan to cut government pensions and shift some retirement costs to schools has cleared its first hurdle in the Illinois Legislature. A House pension committee approved the bill 6-3 yesterday.
The measure would reduce annual cost-of-living increases for public employees. It also gradually makes schools and universities pay the cost of retirement benefits for their employees. Opponents argue schools would be stuck with a huge expense at a time when money is already tight. But House Speaker Michael Madigan says the shift makes schools come up with money they promise to their employees.