Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed February 27, 2013
Illinois House Committee OKs Gay Marriage
An Illinois House committee has endorsed allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry. The House Executive Committee voted last night to move a measure lifting the state's ban on same-sex marriage to the floor.
Democratic Rep. Greg Harris says his bill is a matter of treating gay and heterosexual couples equally under the law. Advocates say the measure would also help eliminate discrimination against children of homosexual couples. But opponents say the bill steps on religious freedom. They argue lawmakers don't have the right to redefine marriage.
The bill received Senate approval on Valentine's Day with Democratic support and a single Republican vote. If it passes in the House, Gov. Pat Quinn says he'll sign the legislation.