Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Mon August 27, 2012
Illinois Fire Officials Offer Safety Tips for Campfires
llinois state officials are reminding campers to practice fire safety, especially with the severe drought conditions in the state. Officials with the State Fire Marshal’s office say that with the drought there's greater danger for brush fires. There were 212 uncontrolled campsite fires reported between 2005 and 2012 and authorities say they could have been avoided. Safety tips include avoiding building fires in windy conditions, not using gasoline or other substances that could cause explosions and never leaving a campfire or grill unattended. Officials also recommend ensuring all fires are completely extinguished before going to sleep and keeping a pail of sand or water nearby.