Most Active Stories
- While Dangerous Predicted Winter Weather Won't Contend With '09 Ice Storm
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- EKU Plans Response To White Supremacist Flyer Posted In Classroom Buildings
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
Tue January 29, 2013
Ill Senate President Ready to Address Pensions
Illinois Senate President John Cullerton says he wants to push forward with a pension overhaul as quickly as possible.
The Democrat is stressing the need for addressing Illinois' worst-in-the-nation pension problem, which he says drains the state budget. Cullerton introduced Senate Bill 1 after lawmakers were sworn in this month. It combines a Senate-approved measure along with another that failed to get a House roll-call. He says he's working to get support. As the Illinois State Senate gets set to reconvene next week, Cullerton says Standard & Poor's recent credit rating downgrade should motivate lawmakers to act.