Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Tue January 29, 2013
Ill Senate President Ready to Address Pensions
Illinois Senate President John Cullerton says he wants to push forward with a pension overhaul as quickly as possible.
The Democrat is stressing the need for addressing Illinois' worst-in-the-nation pension problem, which he says drains the state budget. Cullerton introduced Senate Bill 1 after lawmakers were sworn in this month. It combines a Senate-approved measure along with another that failed to get a House roll-call. He says he's working to get support. As the Illinois State Senate gets set to reconvene next week, Cullerton says Standard & Poor's recent credit rating downgrade should motivate lawmakers to act.