Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri October 12, 2012
Ill. Lt. Governor Says College Should Be Affordable
Illinois Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon says she supports making college tuition more affordable. She visited the University of Illinois-Chicago Thursday and presented a plan to stop rising tuition costs. She says both state and federal officials need to work together to bring costs down. While at the university, she shadowed two students in a chemistry lab work-study program. Simon’s office says increases in college tuition and fees have outpaced inflation, citing a Pew Research Center report that found students had an average of more than $26,000 in student loans in 2010. She says college should be accessible to everyone especially since it is often a prerequisite for a well-paid job in Illinois.