Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Fri May 3, 2013
ILL Lt. Gov. Wants Committee To Study School Funding
Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon is encouraging lawmakers to create a committee to study how Illinois funds education and recommend ways to improve it. In a statement yesterday Simon said the General Assembly should pass a resolution sponsored by Sen. Andy Manar, a Democrat from Bunker Hill.
The resolution would create an Advisory Committee on Education Funding. The committee would issue recommendations by Feb. 1, 2014 on how to make education funding more equitable. Simon says under the current funding system "students' learning opportunities are influenced by zip code, perpetuating a system of haves and have-nots."