Most Active Stories
- What Kentucky Teachers Think Of Their Schools, Education Department Releases Survey Results
- MSU's Presidential Search Committee Plans to Use National Search Firm
- MSU Board of Regents Approves Dr. Tim Miller as Interim President
- Kentucky to Raise Gas Tax in July
- Survey Finds McConnell Leading Over Democratic Challengers
Wed January 30, 2013
ILL Lawmakers Gear Up for Spring Session
The Illinois House returns to work as the General Assembly gears up for a spring session that promises a continuing struggle over how to close a $96 billion funding gap in the state's public-employee pension system.
House members will be in session Wednesday and Thursday. Their Senate counterparts return next week and both houses will meet in joint session Feb. 6 for Governor Pat Quinn's State of the State address. The last meeting followed a furious but disappointing six days closing the last session. Lame-duck lawmakers failed to ink a deal to remedy years of pension under funding and reduce the multi billion-dollar annual payment to retirement programs.