Most Active Stories
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- Davies Begins Work as Murray State's 13th President
- Kentucky Residents May Soon Need More Than a Driver's License to Get Into Some Federal Buildings
Fri June 8, 2012
I'll Have Another Scratched From Belmont Stakes
Originally published on Fri June 8, 2012 10:57 am
Triple Crown contender I’ll Have Another has been scratched from tomorrow’s Belmont Stakes.
Trainer Doug O’Neill says he pulled the colt from the race after he showed early signs of tendonitis in his left front leg. O’Neill told radio talk show host Dan Patrick that he’s not sure how I’ll Have Another was injured, but he’s not taking any chances by running him Saturday.
I’ll Have Another was positioned to become racing’s first Triple Crown winner since
1978. He won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness in dramatic fashion, overtaking Bodemeister in the stretch run of both races.
O’Neill says the injury is not life-threatening but may end I’ll Have Another’s racing career.