Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Thu January 31, 2013
ILL Group Wants Dwight Prison Kept Open
A prison watchdog group is asking Illinois Governor Pat Quinn to reconsider plans to close the Dwight women's prison.
John Howard Association executive director John Maki says Dwight is the state's only maximum-security prison for women. He says the facility has been successful in hiring female correctional officers and training staff to handle a population that overwhelmingly comes from backgrounds of physical, sexual and emotional abuse. Quinn wants Dwight closed to save money. He closed the Tamms super-security prison earlier this year along with several juvenile detention centers. Maki pointed out the John Howard Association supported those closures.