Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Thu January 31, 2013
ILL Group Wants Dwight Prison Kept Open
A prison watchdog group is asking Illinois Governor Pat Quinn to reconsider plans to close the Dwight women's prison.
John Howard Association executive director John Maki says Dwight is the state's only maximum-security prison for women. He says the facility has been successful in hiring female correctional officers and training staff to handle a population that overwhelmingly comes from backgrounds of physical, sexual and emotional abuse. Quinn wants Dwight closed to save money. He closed the Tamms super-security prison earlier this year along with several juvenile detention centers. Maki pointed out the John Howard Association supported those closures.