Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
Wed March 6, 2013
ILL Gov. Quinn Touts Budget Plan
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn is expected to call today for additional cuts and scrutiny of money that's automatically sent to local governments, public transportation and other programs as he presents his proposed budget.
The Chicago Democrat will propose slashing $400 million dollars from education in the fiscal year that starts July 1. It also will pin the blame for the cuts on lawmakers' failure to fix the state's worst-in-the-nation pension problem. Quinn's proposed budget also attempts to pay down $2 billion dollars in unpaid bills.