Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed March 6, 2013
ILL Gov. Quinn Touts Budget Plan
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn is expected to call today for additional cuts and scrutiny of money that's automatically sent to local governments, public transportation and other programs as he presents his proposed budget.
The Chicago Democrat will propose slashing $400 million dollars from education in the fiscal year that starts July 1. It also will pin the blame for the cuts on lawmakers' failure to fix the state's worst-in-the-nation pension problem. Quinn's proposed budget also attempts to pay down $2 billion dollars in unpaid bills.