Most Active Stories
- While Dangerous Predicted Winter Weather Won't Contend With '09 Ice Storm
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- EKU Plans Response To White Supremacist Flyer Posted In Classroom Buildings
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
Wed March 6, 2013
ILL Gov. Quinn Touts Budget Plan
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn is expected to call today for additional cuts and scrutiny of money that's automatically sent to local governments, public transportation and other programs as he presents his proposed budget.
The Chicago Democrat will propose slashing $400 million dollars from education in the fiscal year that starts July 1. It also will pin the blame for the cuts on lawmakers' failure to fix the state's worst-in-the-nation pension problem. Quinn's proposed budget also attempts to pay down $2 billion dollars in unpaid bills.