Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Tue April 30, 2013
ILL Approves Health-Care Co-Op
A new nonprofit organization, Land of Lincoln Health, is receiving an insurance license from the state of Illinois. The credential clears the way for the organization to offer health insurance coverage in the state in 2014 when the national health overhaul law goes into full effect.
The law created a category of insurance carriers called Consumer Operated and Oriented Plans, or "co-ops." Land of Lincoln Health was the first co-op in Illinois to receive federal approval. It received a $160 million federal loan to begin operations. The Metropolitan Chicago Healthcare Council incorporated Land of Lincoln Health.